Friday, October 5, 2007

Nigger: by Dick Gregory

I am 3 pages away from finishing up Dick Gregory's book entitled Nigger. I read the book because I was planning on interviewing him, but everytime I called his number it just rang through. After being encouraged to call him again I picked up the dialed his number once more and then I heard his voice. It took me off guard, but I quickly switching into pitch mode, the conversation was short, and direct but Mr. Gregory was very warm.. I'm looking forward to doing an interview with him in the next few weeks. Its crazy how much you think you know someone after you have read a personal account of their life. The book, is over 40 years old, and there has been an update since, but he seems like he has not changed a lot. Gregory is a comedian/ author/social activist/ dietician, all around he seems to be concerned about consciousness. Some people may misunderstand his passion, but he is true blue. My Dad has a lot of respect for him, and that says a lot. Gregory in his day was a top comedian, even before the time of Richard Pryor, and he put a lot of that aside to be apart of the civil rights movement. He wasn't simply making speeches and giving money, but leading protests and going to jail for what he believed in. Even now, Gregory at age 75 is very active and travels frequently. In 2001 he was diagnosed with cancer, but he refused treatment choosing instead to go on a strict diet. Now he is 85% cancer free according to his website. So anyway I'm setting up some more interview with authors because its an excellent way for me to learn, teach other people and build my professional portfolio.

Digg this

0 comments:

© blogger templates 3 column | Webtalks